Baby’s Thanksgiving Romper

Home Forums Makers Make Baby’s Thanksgiving Romper

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      bkalben@msn.com
      Participant

I finally made something!  I made this romper for my 6-month old grandniece (my niece’s baby) for Thanksgiving.  I was able to use fabric from my stash.  The rust colored corduroy is from remnants from a jumper that I made for myself years ago.  The back of the romper is pieced, but I have the nap all going down!  The mare and foal fabric used for the pockets and lining was also in my stash.  The pattern is Ahoy Lined Romper by Puperita.  The only changes I made to the pattern were, as requested by the mother, I lowered the crotch about ½” for the diapers and I changed the pockets a bit.  I wanted to avoid buttons because I understand that small children call pull them off and swallow them, so I used plastic snaps by KAM, that were new to me.  The romper is a little large on her, which is why the pant legs are rolled up, but the mother is glad because then the baby can wear it for a longer period.  I am very proud of myself!Romper

So darn cute, Bobbie.  I remember making many of those rompers for my two kids.  Snaps are the way to go.

bpgourmet@yahoo.com
      Participant

I luv how the horses are positioned quite well on the pockets.  Am going to look into those snaps — thanks for the name.  And, you can plan to tell this young person about your corduroy jumper some day!

bkalben@msn.com
      Participant

Thanks for the compliments!  I am very proud of this romper.  Regarding the horses centered on the pockets, this is when my husband John would say “What an accident!”  You can’t really tell, but the color of the crotch snaps is slightly different than the others, since I didn’t have enough of my favorite color.

I am currently making a pinafore dress and shirt for her.  I hope to get them done for her for Christmas.  Check back for photos.

Nice work, Bobbie!

Judy Powell
      Participant

Super cute Bobbie. How was your experience with setting those snaps? I’m looking for something that’s easy to use and gets consistently good results.

bkalben@msn.com
      Participant

I would say my experience with these snaps is mixed.  Because the snaps are plastic, if when I am inserting them I squeeze too tightly, they don’t hold.  So I have wasted many snap parts.  The KAM snaps were recommended on the internet, which is why I went with them.  I don’t know if any other brands of plastic snaps are any better.  You are more than welcome to try some if we can meet some time.  Also, if anyone has had good experiences with other snaps, I would love to hear about them.  I know someone gave a presentation about snaps at a pre-COVID Bellevue neighborhood group meeting.  I don’t remember who gave the snap presentation, but if anyone knows who she is, please let me know!

Judy Powell
        Participant

Thanks Bobbie. I’m sorry I missed that snap presentation. Snaps are one of the few things that intimidate me in sewing anymore – such a commitment! I don’t have any use for plastic snaps right now but if anyone on here knows someone who’s plumbed the depths of the snap issue I’d sure like to hear from them.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.